Friday, September 30, 2011

Reviewing my MLB predictions

At the All-Star break, I tried to predict how each division would shake out by the end of the season. So first I am going to give how each division actually shook out, and then how I predicted it. Then, I will give excuses and random comments.

AL East

Yankees
Rays (Wild Card)
Red Sox
Blue Jay
Orioles

I predicted:
Red Sox
Rays
Yankees
Blue Jays
Orioles

Excuses and Comments: Okay, so I didn't have the Red Sox collapsing. I did have the Rays making the playoffs (commentators should stop saying no one did), but I had the Yankees making the collapse. Oops. I don't think anyone saw the Red Sox's starting pitching falling apart like it did, or the bullpen choking. At least I didn't. As expected, the Jays played very solid, but weren't able to keep up.

AL Central

Tigers
Indians
White Sox
Royals
Twins

I Predicted:

Tigers
White Sox
Indians
Twins
Royals

Excuses and Comments: I wasn't very high on the White Sox or Twins (unlike many), but I was even too easy on them. The Royals played much better in the second half to get themselves out of the cellar.

AL West

Rangers
Angels
Oakland
Seattle

I Predicted:

Rangers
Angels
Seattle
Oakland



Excuses and Comments: I correctly picked the Rangers to hold off the Angels, but missed on the bottom of the division. Right after the All-Star break, the Mariners when on one of the worst slides in recent memory. The Athletics also played mediocre baseball under Doug Melvin, so credit to them.

NL West

Diamondbacks
Giants
Dodgers
Rockies
Padres

I Predicted:

Giants
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Padres
Dodgers

Excuses and Comments: Well, where to start? I had this totally wrong. The Diamondbacks got hot and the Giants folded, and could not buy a run at times. I also thought the Dodgers would fold it up and go home, but they ended up having an okay season at around .500, playing well down the stretch. With the players they have, they should contend next year.

NL Central

Brewers
Cardinals (wild-card)
Reds
Pirates
Cubs
Astros

I Predicted:

Brewers
Cardinals
Reds
Pirates
Cubs
Astros

Excuses and Comments: I actually got this division right, I just didn't have the Cardinals making the Wild-Card. I am proud of myself picking the Pirates collapse, even if that hurts Pittsburgh fan.

NL East

Phillies
Braves
Nationals
Mets
Marlins

I Predicted:

Phillies
Braves (Wild-Card)
Marlins
Nationals
Mets

Excuses and Comments: I didn't see the massive collapse of the Braves coming. How awful was that? I over estimated the Marlins and underestimated the Nationals and Mets some.


Division Winners: I went 4 out of 6. Not bad.
Playoffs Teams: 5 out of 8. Could have been better. Would have been better if the Braves wouldn't have collapsed.
Cellar Picks: 2 out of 6. Ouch, I am not good at picking the worst team in the division.

No comments:

Post a Comment